Vision: What we want to be
We are a family-oriented, life skills, martial arts academy.
Our vision is to be a center of martial arts education, empowerment, and enlightenment where people become Black Belts, Champions, and Leaders in Society.
Mission Statement: What we do
Our mission is to help people be their best, make a difference in the world around them, and live life to the fullest through martial arts training and education.
Master Phil Nguyen
Master Phil is a martial artist first, author/speaker/mind-body-spirit teacher second, and entrepreneur third.
He has been training, teaching, competing, and coaching in ITF Taekwon-Do for over 30 years.
He attributes much to his achievements, joys, and successes to martial arts training, wisdom, and philosophy.
- 7th Degree Black Belt International Master Instructor in ITF Taekwon-Do.
- 1st Degree Black Belt in Kanzenbudo Jiu-Jitsu
- Has also attended classes and seminars in Jet Li’s Taiji Zen, Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Aikido, Shinkido, Weapons, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, and MMA (with UFC Champion Georges St-Pierre)
- Co-founded the award-winning Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts Academy, the first-established and longest-running martial arts school in the city of Kanata since 1986
- Recipient of the “Founder’s Award” presented by General Choi Hong Hi, Founder of ITF Taekwon-Do, for his dedication, promotion, and teaching of the martial arts in his community.
- Has attended multiple International Instructors’ Courses, including once when he performed 4 of 24 Patterns of Taekwon-Do in front of the Founder, General Choi Hong Hi, which was featured in Tae Kwon Do Times magazine
- Led a 250-student Taekwon-Do Demonstration in honour of his academy’s 25th Anniversary in his community
- Taught thousands of students, ranging from children with ADHD to adults with PhD’s.
- Produced multiple Black Belts, Champions, and Leaders in Society.
- Multiple medalist and coach at Canadian Martial Arts Games, Canadian Taekwon-Do Championships, and North American Taekwon-Do Championships
- Past Member, National Association of Professional Martial Artists
- Past Member, Martial Arts Industry Association
- Co-creator of the award-wining Bully Busters program with his wife, which they have taught to 1,000′s of school-aged children assertiveness skills to respond to bullying confidently and peacefully
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Emergency Room named after “Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts Academy” due to his students’ fundraising efforts
- Donated 10,000′s of dollars to CHEO, The Royal Ottawa Mental Health Foundation, and Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre (women’s shelters, anti-bullying programs).
- Voted “The People’s Choice Citizen of the Year” in his city, Kanata Chamber of Commerce
- Voted “Diamond Winner, Readers’ Choice #1 Martial Arts School in Kanata for Families
- Recipient of the “Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal” for contributions to Canada
- Recipient of “The Mayor’s City Builder Award” for contributions to his community
- Recipient of Ottawa’s Top Forty Under 40, Ottawa Chamber of Commerce, for his professional expertise, business leadership, and community contributions
- Recipient of the “Sandra Ball Recognition Award” for helping make the community a better and safer place for youth
- Recipient of the “Civic Appreciation Award” and nominee for the “Brian Kilrea Award for Excellence in Coaching,” City of Ottawa
- Winner, “Good Corporate Citizen Award,” Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre, for Bully Busters program
- Voted Top 3 Finalist, “The Peoples’ Choice in Kanata for Business Person of the Year,” Kanata Chamber of Commerce
- Earned a Bachelors Degree in Engineering and Management from the University of Ottawa
- Editor-in-Chief, Engineering Student Society newspaper, University of Ottawa
- Chairperson, Ontario Engineering Competition – Competition d’ingénierie de l’Ontario
- President, Engineering Student Societies Council of Ontario
- Governor, Canadian Federation of Engineering Students
- Senior Student Ambassador, University of Ottawa
- Student Senator, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ottawa
- Author of #1 International Bestseller, Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets Reveal the Truth About Family Martial Arts Training (amazon.com Family Activities, Family Relationships, Hot New Releases) www.blackbeltexcellencebook.com
- Author of Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets to Becoming a Bully Buster
- Author of Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets on How Martial Arts Training Can Help Your Child to Better FOCUS
- Author of Black Belt Leadership – 9-Point Path to Wisdom, Inspiration, and Enlightenment www.blackbeltleadership.com
- CEO and President of Black Belt Excellence Inc., Speaking, Training, and Facilitation Services.
- Certified Master Trainer, Langevin Learning Services
- Certified Professional Facilitator, International Association of Facilitators
- Distinguished Toastmaster, Toastmaster International
- Recipient of “Leadership Excellence Award,” Toastmasters International
- President and “President’s Award,” Ottawa Toastmasters
- Recipient of “President’s Award,” Canadian Association of Professional Speakers – Ottawa Chapter
- Recognized as one of Ottawa’s “Top Forty Under 40,” Ottawa Business Journal, for his business achievements, professional expertise, and community involvement.
- Voted “The People’s Choice Family Business of the Year” in his city, Kanata Chamber of Commerce
Mrs. Amelia Nguyen is a 4th Degree Black Belt who has been training and competing in the martial art of Taekwon-Do since 1994 and has been teaching Taekwon-Do in Kanata since 2000.
She holds a Graduate Degree in Conflict Resolution and a Bachelors Degree in Law from Carleton University in Ottawa.
Her martial arts accomplishments include:
- Co-owner and Director of Operations, Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts Academy
- Diamond Winner, Reader’s Choice Awards, #1 Choice for Martial Arts School in Kanata, Kanata-Kourier-StandardWinner, People’s Choice in Kanata for Family Business of the Year, 2006
- Assistant Instructor of Lu’s Taekwon-Do Kanata from 1999-2005
- Author of My Little Dragons Workbook
- Co-Creator of the award-winning Bully Busters program and workshop
- Recipient of the Sandra Ball Recognition Award for helping make the community a better and safer place for Kanata’s youth, 2005
- Has taught 100’s of Taekwon-Do students and helped mentor multiple Black Belts
- Team Gold medalist, 2004 North American Championships
- Gold medalist, 2003 Ottawa-Carleton Championships
- Silver medalist, 2003 Canadian Championships
- Silver medalist, 2002 Provincial Championships
- Double Bronze medalist, 2001 Canadian Championships
- Silver & Bronze medalist, 2001 Eastern Canadian Championships
- Double Bronze medalist, 2000 Canadian Championships
- Double Silver medalist, 2000 Canadian Martial Arts Games
- Gold medalist, 1999 Canadian Championships
- Gold medalist, 1998 North American Championships
- Double Silver medalist, 1998 Eastern Canadian Championships
- Gold medalist, 1998
- Gold medalist, 1997 Provincial Championships
- Silver medalist, 1997 Provincial Championships
- Bronze medalist, 1996 Provincial Championships
- Executive Producer, Black Belt Excellence Video Yearbook Collection
Her professional accomplishments and associations include:
- Director of Operations of Black Belt Excellence Inc.
- Member, International Taekwon-Do Federation
- Member, National Association of Professional Martial Artists
- Member, Martial Arts Industry Association
- Winner, Good Corporate Citizen Award, Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre, 2006 (for Bully Busters program)